Harworth and Bircotes Town Council – serving the people for over 300 years
Harworth & Bircotes became a town in 2010.
The name Harworth is Saxon in origin and means “farm on the boundary”. The Doomsday Book informs that the parish is substantially a woodland area but it did have a Saxon Church dedicated to “All Saints” and was built on a mound.
Indications are that Church needed to be rebuilt in the 12th Century and throughout the Middle Ages Harworth slowly developed into a large farming community.
During 1700 -1705 a free school was built in Harworth funded by Robert Brailsford, who was the cook at Serlby Hall. The school gave free education to 40 boys and 20 girls.
Each village had an annual feast day and it is understood that Harworth was designated the 1st November.
The late 19th century saw the area prosper as more homes were built and Viscount Galway became an important employer for the area. He employed not only staff for Serlby Hall but tradesmen such as butchers, blacksmiths, wheelwrights and publicans to serve the local farming community.
During the early part of the 20th Century fuel was essential for growing number of factories that emerged. It was in this era that coal was needed more than ever before. This would change not only the landscape but bring much needed employment to the area.
The original shafts at Harworth Colliery started in 1914 by a German Company, but owing to World War 1 this work ceased. In 1917 Barber & Walker bought the rights to the mine and also 350 acres of land that was to be used for housing for the miners. This was the birth of Bircotes. After much research the author has found that Bircotes is also Saxon in origin and means ‘small dwelling’.